I’ve simply returned from my journey by way of Colombian lands and I’m nonetheless assimilating every thing I noticed, ate and lived. 33 intense days within the cradle of magical realism have left me with a lot studying and reminiscences.
These are my impressions.
– Colombia is a a lot bigger nation than the traveler estimates. If you wish to know every thing, you do not have to journey to Colombia, it’s a must to dwell in Colombia as a result of there may be an excessive amount of to see and do.
– Colombia doesn’t have a vacationer “star” like Peru has Machu Picchu or Argentina the Iguazú Falls, however that makes the expertise all through the nation fairly comparable, nice and shines for the only issues, like its individuals.
– Tourism in Colombia has arisen with out ready for it, after the wave of violence and drug trafficking that hit the nation within the final three many years of the final century, individuals are curious to know what that nation that was as soon as scary to go to is like. And that’s felt within the streets, there are numerous vacationers from all around the world, in addition to many Colombians, discovering and rediscovering their very own nation.
– There isn’t a higher vacationer promoter in Colombia than the Colombian, it could be that they have no idea their total nation however they’ll at all times have one thing to suggest. They’re fairly regionalists, with the nice and the unhealthy that this suggests, so they’ll typically suggest the place the place they’re from and they’ll discuss it so eloquently that it’s going to make you need to go all over the place.
– Safety in Colombia is much like different Latin American international locations, issues are significantly better than earlier than however issues are nonetheless taking place. You need to use frequent sense and watch out in some areas of huge cities, as they might wherever on the earth. There isn’t a purpose to be afraid, vacationer areas typically have a excessive police presence and the charming cities are a delight to discover with out fear.
– Colombians are probably the most pleasant, they communicate superbly, they smile, they’re well mannered and type they usually have a well mannered phrase for every thing. It’s the nation the place I’ve heard probably the most “What a disgrace” and “Could God bless you” to apologize and provides thanks respectively. However sure, on the wheel are others, they drive with out saying “what a disgrace” and hoping that the blessing of that God is so nice that they arrive alive at their vacation spot.
– Colombia is essentially mountains. For that reason, its roads are like snakes that slide on the slopes of the mountains connecting farms, cities and cities. It might be a delight to journey the nation by automotive if its curvy roads weren’t so dangerous. I used to be in a position to see a number of accidents, a few of them sadly deadly. This topography not solely makes driving advanced, but in addition extends the gap in time between cities, making it extra sensible to journey by aircraft on many routes. Regional planes are often cheap.
– The Colombian accent varies in every space of the nation, however I really feel that it is similar that make it stay Colombian. The accent most related to the nation is the “paisa” that corresponds to the inhabitants of the division of Antioquia, the place Medellín is positioned. They’ve very typical phrases like “do it then” or “Hail Mary then” and they don’t discuss you however about you.
– Colombia is a cheap nation to go to.
– Having enjoyable is having an unimaginable time.
– There’s something known as “Wifi for the individuals” and it’s in the primary locations. It is vitally simple to attach and really very free hahahahaha.
– It’s assumed that in Colombia they communicate the most effective Spanish in Latin America and it’s in all probability true. Though they use some phrases that precipitated me humor similar to: “All of a sudden”, which in Colombia they use as in Mexico we might use the “equal and …” “abruptly it was late”, “abruptly he deviated from the highway” or the phrase “Collaborate” who use it as an alternative of serving to. You then come to a retailer they usually ask you “How can I assist you?” Or “Can I assist you with one thing? I discover it very curious. One other factor is that in Colombia issues aren’t paid, they’re canceled. Then they ask you: How do you intend to cancel? And then you definately get scared as a result of what you need is to pay to not cancel.
– Colombian espresso is legendary on the earth, the curiosity is that in Colombia usually and for many years unhealthy espresso has been taken. The most well-liked factor is to drink a purple that’s espresso made with the bottom high quality beans of the productions, often known as pasilla, which some espresso growers contemplate “the espresso rubbish”, the purple already comprises sugar and is often very toasted to cover its low high quality, sure, it is vitally low-cost. It’s discovered all over the place. It’s because for many years good espresso was completely for export. Immediately issues have modified and lots of producers and occasional retailers are claiming Colombian espresso internally.
– Juan Valdez by no means existed, he’s a personality that the Colombian espresso federation invented they usually rent an actor to acquire the pictures.
– There’s a espresso franchise known as Tostao and it’s a success, as it’s cheaper and extra handy than Juan Valdez. There are all over the place and they’re at all times full. The bread is imported to allow them to reserve it.
– In some components the fried eggs are made with butter and never with oil. The identical is irrelevant, however for me the flavour adjustments rather a lot.
– You need to know “La Panela” that in Mexico we name piloncillo and it’s mainly sugar in its first state. In Colombia it’s used to sweeten many issues. One thing very refreshing is aguapanela with lemon and many individuals eat aguapanela con queso, which is agua de panela with enormous chunks of contemporary cheese. The second is to not my style however the first appeared scrumptious.
– After they get excited, their pores and skin turns ricey.
– Pichar is to fuck, I imply so you understand.
– The patch is the group of pals.
– One very optimistic factor about Colombia is that it’s in all probability the cleanest nation I’ve identified in Latin America.
– I used to be shocked to see a optimistic tradition relating to breastfeeding in public, I noticed many ladies doing it and it was unimaginable.
– The topic of Pablo Escobar doesn’t just like the Colombians (at the very least the bulk) and the variety of vacationers who go to this nation with the intention of doing “drug tourism” or visiting websites that belonged to this character is unimaginable. For my part this can be very disrespectful. Earlier than doing any exercise associated to this matter, speak to the locals and if after seeing how their faces change once you point out a prison who precipitated a lot ache of their nation, you resolve to go to his grave to take a selfie, your empathy abilities they’re fully absent.
– Colombia is a comparatively little visited nation that’s hardly smiling at tourism and that’s improbable, as a result of it feels very genuine and the individuals are genuinely pleasant. The time to go to it’s now as a result of increasingly more individuals are going to find its charms.
– Colombia surprises vacationers, as a result of we have no idea what to anticipate, however the actuality is that it’s charming wherever you see it. It has too many issues to supply, so put together for a lot of moments of indecision when planning your route.
-There’s a Colombian expression that completely defines a visit to Colombia ¡Qué chimba!